Distinguished ACM Speaker:
Based in FL, USA
Oge Marques (http://faculty.eng.fau.edu/omarques/) is Professor of Computer and Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at Florida Atlantic University (FAU) (Boca Raton, Florida). He received his Ph.D. in Computer Engineering from Florida Atlantic University in 2001, his Masters in Electronics Engineering from Philips International Institute (Eindhoven, NL) in 1989 and his Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from Universidade Tecnologica Federal do Parana (UTFPR) (Curitiba, Brazil), where he also taught for more than 10 years before moving to the USA.
He has more than 25 years of teaching and research experience in the fields of image processing and computer vision, in different countries (USA, Austria, Brazil, Netherlands, Spain, France, and India), languages (English, Portuguese, Spanish), and capacities. Recent teaching awards include the FAU Excellence and Innovation in Undergraduate Teaching Award (received both in 2004 and 2011) and the Outstanding Mid-Career Teaching Award, presented by the American Society for Engineering Education - Southeastern Section (ASEE-SE) (2011).
His research interests are in the area of intelligent processing of visual information, which combines the fields of image processing, computer vision, image retrieval, machine learning, serious games, and human visual perception. He is particularly interested in the combination of human computation and machine learning techniques to solve computer vision problems. He is the (co-) author of two patents, more than 50 refereed journal and conference papers, and several books in these topics, including the textbook Practical Image and Video Processing Using MATLAB (Wiley-IEEE Press, 2011) (http://www.ogemarques.com/), which has been adopted by more than 20 universities in more than a dozen different countries and has also been translated to Chinese.
He is Editor-in-Chief (with Borko Furht) of the 3rd edition of the Encyclopedia of Multimedia (http://encyclopediaofmultimedia.com). He serves as Editorial Board member for the journal Multimedia Tools and Applications and as a reviewer for several leading journals in computer science and engineering, including: IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, and the EURASIP Journal on Image and Video Processing. He has also served as reviewer for several science and technology funding agencies, including: the Hong Kong’s Innovation and Technology Commission, the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO), and the Austrian Science Fund (FWF).
He has numerous international collaborations and appointments, including: Visiting Professor at Alpen-Adria Universitat Klagenfurt, Austria (since 2008), Visiting Professor at ENSEEIHT Engineering School, University of Toulouse, France (since 2010), Visiting Professor at UTFPR, Curitiba-PR, Brazil (since 2003), and collaborative projects and publications with Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya (UPC), Barcelona, Spain (since 2012) and Universidade Federal de Goias (UFG), Goiania, Brazil (since 2010).
He was one of the co-chairs for the Doctoral Symposium of the ACM International Conference on Multimedia 2014 (Orlando, FL, November 2014), the organizer and co-chair of a special track on Image and Video Databases for the ACM SAC 2003 (Melbourne, FL, March 2003), and has served as reviewer and Program Committee member for several ACM conferences and workshops.
He is a senior member of both the ACM and IEEE. He is also a member of the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE), and the honor societies of Tau Beta Pi, Sigma Xi, Phi Kappa Phi, and Upsilon Pi Epsilon.
- Can you trust what you see? The magic of visual perception: This lecture presents and explains a diverse collection of visual perception phenomena that challenge our common knowledge of how well we detect, recognize, compare, measure, interpret, and make decisions upon the information that arrives at our brai...
- Image Processing and Computer Vision in iOS: This lecture provides directions for developers and researchers interested in developing iOS applications with image processing and computer vision capabilities. It is divided into three main parts: (1) motivation for developing intelligent visual ap...
- Leadership and Communication Skills for Engineers and Computer Scientists:
This lecture provides an overview of successful leadership and communication skills that engineering and computer science students and professionals can use to thrive in today’s diverse, team-oriented, professional environments. Topics i...
- Machine learning and its applications:
This talk provides an overview of machine learning concepts, techniques and applications.
The field of machine learning has experienced significant growth during the past 20 years and has become the...
- Medical image analysis using deep learning: This talk provides an overview of the field of medical image analysis, with emphasis on the recent impact of increasingly popular deep learning techniques on the design and implementation of intelligent medical imaging-based diagnosis systems. This l...
- Practical Image Processing and Computer Vision Using MATLAB: This lecture presents an overview of useful image processing and computer vision algorithms and demonstrates how to quickly use them to build practical solutions implemented with MATLAB. It provides an overview of MATLAB and some of its toolboxes (no...
- Using games to solve challenging multimedia problems: This talk discusses how we can use human computation methods to supplement traditional content analysis techniques and assist in the solution of hard multimedia problems. There are many challenging problems in multimedia research for which state-of-t...
- Visual information retrieval: advances, challenges and opportunities :
This talk presents an overview of Visual information retrieval (VIR), an active and vibrant research area, which attempts at providing means for organizing, indexing, annotating, and retrieving visual information (images and videos) fro...
To request a tour with this speaker, please complete this online form.
If you are not requesting a tour, click on the desired lecture and complete the Request this Lecture form.
All requests will be sent to ACM headquarters for review.
Florida Atlantic University